Sunday, December 30, 2007

Feast of the Holy Family

Sir 3:2-6, 12-14
Col 3:12-17
Mt 2:13-15, 19-23


On this Sunday in the Octave of Christmas, it is appropriate that we celebrate the Feast of the Holy Family, the Family that came to be when the Christ was born to Mary. We celebrate because this Family redefines forever what family means. What family is, who family is, changed forever with the formation of this Holy Family. Yes, they certainly looked like countless other families of their day, they look like many families of our own day. But there is something different here, a fundamental shift. Perhaps in order to see this we need to look at what a family is. A family is a group of people who are related, who share a heritage and a history. At it core what a family is, is a community, a group of people tied together by a common goal, a common purpose, a common belief. There may or may not be a blood relationship, that isn’t the most important thing. The sharing, the commonality, that is community. Families and clans are, for the most part, closed systems. One must be born in or married in to be a part of the family, to belong to that community. The Holy Family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph formed a community, a new community, a new family, a family open to all persons. The community of the Holy Family reflects for us the Ultimate Community, the divine family that the birth of the Christ calls us to. Christ calls us to share in this divine mystery, to be a people who partake in the divine life of the Trinity. Christ calls us to be a part of this family, this community, this People of God.

Deacon John
Feast of the Holy Family
Dec. 30, 2007

1 comment:

victor said...

Speakin Deacon,

I must confess that for whatever reason's,I have not read any of your post since my last Amen comment! With the amount of educational intelligence which my grade nine occupational course as brought this poor sick sinner, I must be careful not to mis-lead anyone into thinking that I’m some kind ofAlbert Einstein. I must thank my earthly father (god bless his soul) for having given me so much confidence and I’m sure that at the time, his physical mentality didn’t have a clue but God only knows how much his spiritual mentality really knew. The more I learn, the more I keep telling myself, “You crazy fool what have you done!?” Well I must confess and say that I’ve thrown “IT” all to God and His Angels years ago and I must also confess that there’s been times when I’ve really felt like a crazy fool and if you don’t believe me, just ask any of my so called imaginary friends at my hotel of fools. (lol) My imaginary friends book would never end if I let them tell their story. Believe it or not some go as far as to say that the Egyptians left their pyramid as an example for US (Usual Sinner). Other spiritual imaginary friends have tried to decipher “IT” and depending on what side of the fence you’re on it kind of makes a little sense to me. I just keep telling them, no thank you, I’m down for the count and I’ll wait till Jesus Christ taps me on the shoulder before I go back, I mean get back “UP.”

John I once said, with all the respect in the world that is, that if Jesus Christ lied about one thing then He’s the biggest liar that ever walked this earth. I must honestly say that not one of my four nervous break downs have been able to prove that He’s lied about anything. Round and round we go and where we stop God only “Knows.”

Let’s never forget that Jesus also said in so many words that nothing is impossible for His Heavenly Father.

Some of my spiritual imaginary friends are saying that if they dissect a certain cell in my body a billion times then they might find our heavenly father. I keep telling them to stop wasting their time but do you think that they listen!

All kidding aside John, I wish the best for you and whatever “The Holy Trinity” decides should be acceptable to all concerned and I pray that I am never pulled to the test cause I know that I’ve already failed, “The Job.”

Take Care and God Bless