Monday, November 23, 2009

The Solemnity of Christ the King

Dn 7:13-14
Rv 1:5-8
Jn 18:33b-37

The ancient legend of Arthur, a Celtic tale describing a great king, is well-known to most of us who grew up in Western civilization. The great King Arthur unites the people of Britain, but ultimately falls battling evil. He is whisked away to Avalon, never to be seen again. The promise is he will return to save his people when their need is the greatest. Thus he is the Once and Future King. It is an engaging story, a tale of struggle, and ultimately a tale of hope. Hope in the belief that when he is needed, Arthur will return. It is a story meant to give hope to a desperate people. An entertaining story, but a legend, nothing more. It is a legend, and who can put their hope, their faith in a mere legend? We do, however, have the promise of a Once and Future King, a story of hope, a story of salvation, and it is not legend. Christ is our Once and Future King, our beginning, our end, and all that falls between. "I am the Alpha and the Omega, " says the Lord God, "the one who is and who was and who is to come, the almighty." Christ came to establish his kingdom, a kingdom established for us, a kingdom of redemption, salvation, hope. At the time of our greatest need, which is all the time, Christ comes for us. Christ’s kingdom is not something that existed in the past, or something that has yet to come. Christ’s kingdom is here, now, a kingdom made present in the world by us, by you, by me, by all of us who choose to follow Christ. We are called to live as citizens of that kingdom, that kingdom of hope, of salvation, of love. We can live in that kingdom, the kingdom established by Christ, for Christ is not only the Once and Future King, Christ is the king of the now, the present.
Deacon John
The Solemnity of Christ the King
Nov. 22, 2009

1 comment:

victor said...

What's that sinner vic?

Hey Victor! If you agree to let me be your king, I'll make each and everyone of your reality cells a knight of my round table.

Thanks for the offer sinner vic but I'm sorry to say that I'll wait for "The Solemnity of Christ the King" my Savior. He'll turn everyone of my spiritual body cells into Knights of His Round Table and make them in charge of every "ONE" of my Eternal reality Days from my Baptism until my Death. If I'm lucky enough to get to wait for The Ressurrection of The Body, then I'll have reached "Spiritual Grade One" with His Faithful Angels and then start to be perfect like "Our Heavenly Father" is perfect.

Go Figure sinner vic!

God Bless,

Peace