Sunday, June 07, 2009

The Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity

Dt 4:32-34, 39-40
Rom 8:14-17
Mt 28:16-20

There is a popular series of books you may be familiar with called books for dummies. For example there is Plumbing for Dummies, or Carpentry for Dummies, or Auto Mechanics for Dummies. These books take a subject and break it down into very simple components, to make the subject accessible to some one who may know absolutely nothing about it. I once purchased the book Philosophy for Dummies to help me get through a class in Philosophy. Believe me, I needed the help. I can’t say that after reading the book I understood Philosophy, I did not. But the book helped me enter into the subject. It helped me begin to grasp the mystery that was Philosophy. In some ways Scripture can be looked at as God for Dummies. Scripture is God’s self-revelation to us, a self -revelation broken down and made simple so that we can begin to enter into the mystery that is God. Now, any discussion of the nature of God must begin with this understanding, if you think you understand God, what you understand is not God. We will never, this side of heaven, understand the mystery that is God, particularly the mystery that God is Trinity, three persons in one God. God’s self-revelation is for us only a beginning, giving us the barest glimpse into God. In today’s Gospel reading we have one of the very few times the concept of God as Trinity is made explicit. Jesus tells his doubting followers to go forth and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. God revealed to us as Trinity, three persons, one God. A mystery, a great mystery that we can never comprehend. You can try, you can beat your head against the wall of that mystery, but all you’ll get for your effort is a headache. All we can do is accept that the nature of God is and will always be a mystery. All we can do is rely on faith, the faith that makes it possible for us to accept this mystery. God’s self-revelation to us is a doorway, a doorway that we enter only through faith. When we have stepped through that door in faith, accepted the mystery that we will not understand, then we can go forth and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Deacon John
The Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity
June 7, 2009

1 comment:

victor said...

Very deep post indeed but am sure that as a great Christian, it's easy for you to accept or should I keep UP my image and say "IT"s easy as Pie r square! :)

I'm happy to hear that you are doing better as for me, I've been spending some time checking out "FIRST THINGS" site when time permits cause on occasions I take our grandson to a good children hospital because of his C.F. which he says stands for Christ First. Anyway, we brought him back home and to make a long story short, the surgery was not as important cause they could not guarantee that he would come out of "IT" alive.

I still don't read The Good Book and not because "IT" wouldn't help me but I try to make "IT" to church everyday and I talk to God all the time. When The Vatican sends me "ONE" approved by the majority then I guess I'll start reading but between you and me, I'm afraid that I might start flying while reading! :)

I hear ya! Fat Change Victor!

Hey! Well at least there's a chance! :)

All kidding aside, I hope people keep reading "The Good Book" cause "IT" can only make US stronger in "The Blessed Trinity"

As you know, I could go on and on but I must go to work now.

God Bless,

Peace